Thursday, February 28, 2008

Girl Power

For those of you not in the know, this past Tuesday was the 2008 Canadian Women in Communications Annual Awards Gala, held at the Ottawa Congress Centre. I was lucky enough to attend as a volunteer, and found the whole night to be a great success. I was really inspired by the stories of women acting as trailblazers in their industry. The Canadian Women in Communications helps women to advance and maximize their career potential, doing so through a national mentoring program, local and national events and professional development. I think what they're doing is great.

There have been times when I've run into gender based obstacles through my own work experiences, and I think its so unnecessary, and surprising when it happens. I really do believe that there has been so many advancements for women in the workplace, that so-called notions of a "glass ceiling" seem a little...well, silly. Imagine my surprise though when at the CWC gala I learned that the majority of communication businesses (especially telecommunications) do not have a woman as an executive and that in the majority of these businesses have women making up a minority of their workforce! One of the winners at this evening was the only woman to hold the title of President in her particular field.

Holy bananas! I wonder at the reason for this..lack of advancement for women? Sexist stereo-typing? Or is it similar to the situation with women becoming (or lack of becoming) MPs and involved in government? Arguments there hold that women lack the confidence to be involved with that world or have more responsibilities elsewhere (amongst other reasons, but I'll spare you the reading!)

It was pretty eye-opening to learn of all of this. All in all the CWC gala was a really great eye-opening experience, and an opportunity to meet some wonderful people who are doing truly amazing things for women in the workplace. I really liked what CWC president Stephanie MacKendrick had to say about the work her organization does: "CWC doesn't work to make positions only available 'to the girls,' but instead we work to change the perspective of women in the workplace."

Pretty cool stuff. Soo, I'm curious as to what you, reader(s?) think about this. Are women not advancing due to stereo-typing, or are they not taking the opportunities available to them? Are there still boy-club attitudes out there that need to be changed?? I'm curious as to what others think...

No comments: